Thursday 30 May 2019

Each Others' Islands: Introduction

Islandinsel is a double word with the same meaning...! it's an island, and then it's an island again!


That is, it's the same in English and German. 'Island' is an island in English, and 'Insel' is an island in German. So this blog is about islands in Britain and in Germany. It all started in Papay, a little island in Orkney, which is an amazing archipelago off the north coast of Scotland - that's when this project was born, and it grew from there. It was in Papay, where I was reminded most strongly of my 'childhood islands', which are the islands of the North Sea coast of Germany, which I spent holidays in as a child. And then, further north, in Papay (the long name for the island is Papa Westray) the coaat looked like when I was young! I looked into more ad more similarities, and I found more and more as well! There were similar names of other islands, and there were similar locations elsewhere. Such as the Uists in Scotland, which was like Juist in Friesland. Friesland and Scotland in terms being regions with more islands then other regions in  the same countries. Then there's landmarks that have echo-landmarks in each other's islands, such as The Old Man of Hoy is echoed by Long Anna in Heligoland. So I thought we need an exchange here: can we talk about each others islands? 

No comments:

Post a Comment